You can add new pages to your website folder as follows.
• Select New Page in the action menu of the website folder or File New Page in the top menu of the website folder that you have opened using Open . “Empty” from the template folder “Page Templates” will be used as template, if you had such a template folder created during creation of the website folder. If not, you can also create a template folder with a page template “Empty” afterwards. You can edit this page according to your needs. If there is no page “Empty” found in a template folder of your website folder, the system template, an empty page with the name of the new page as title, is used.
• Enter name and optionally tags and description of the new page.
• You can then edit the page with the built-in HTML editor.
You can also derive a new page from an existing page by copying and subsequent editing, thus retaining the original style. In order to facilitate the creation of pages in a website folder, the copy and edit operations are summarized in a single action.
• Select Change Edit Copy in the action menu of an HTML (or text) document.
• In the ‘Edit Copy’ form you may enter a name for the copy and an optional description.
• Hit [OK] to create the copy and launch the editor for editing the document copy.
When the website folder functionality is activated, the Edit Copy action is also available for all HTML and text documents on the BSCW server.
You can edit existing pages of your website folder as follows.
• Select Change Edit in the action menu of the page in the normal folder view or
• click on the icon in the web view of the page.
BSCW’s built-in HTML editor will be used for creating new pages and editing existing ones. The editor will display an additional toolbar when you are editing a page inside a website folder. This toolbar offers five buttons to facilitate editing website folder pages:
• Insert BSCW Element – offers often used BSCW elements. Selecting one of the elements offered inserts the respective code into the source code of the document at the current cursor position. In order to shorten the menu, not all BSCW elements supported are listed in this menu. For a complete list see the section after the next.
• Link to Existing Object – offers the names of objects contained in the current website folder other than the current document. Selecting and confirming one of them inserts a link to the object at the current cursor position. The active layout page is not offered in this menu.
• Existing Image – offers images present in this folder for selection in order to facilitate the insertion of images into the document. Images contained in the ‘Resources’ folder also appear in this list.
• Folder actions – offers some often used actions on the current website folder. Selecting one of the action names inserts the respective code into the source code of the document at the current cursor position. For a complete list of actions available see the section after the next. under folderactions.
• Document actions – offers some often used actions on the document being edited. Selecting one of the action names inserts the respective code into the source code of the document at the current cursor position. For a complete list of actions available see the section after the next under documentactions.
Clicking the [Preview] button of BSCW’s built-in HTML editor will open a separate browser window and show the current page in web view.
You may print the pages of a website folder using Print in the action menu of a page (ordinary folder view) or by clicking on the icon (web view). The active print page of the website folder will be used.
The Change menu of a website folder offers an additional action:
• Choose Change Links Between Documents to transfer links to other BSCW documents in the pages of your website folder from normal HTML notation to BSCW notation.
In contrast to ordinary HTML links, BSCW links are independent of the place where the document is stored. So, if you create an ordinary link to a BSCW document in a page of the website folder, and you move the BSCW document to another folder, the ordinary link will not work any longer. If you have transferred your links to BSCW notation, however, the links will stay working even if the BSCW documents linked to are moved around.
Note: If you use the editor menu “Insert BSCW Link” to insert links to BSCW documents, the links will be in BSCW notation. The action Links Between Documents is mainly meant for transferring links in website folders created using former BSCW versions.