To find out about the non-hidden communities on your BSCW server,
• select GoTo Other Communities in the top menu, which presents a list of all those communities where you are not a member. You can tell by its icon whether a community is open () or closed ().
You may now become a member of such a community by
• selecting Join Community in the action menu of an open community, which immediately makes you a member, or by
• selecting Request Admission in the action menu of a closed community to ask the community manager(s) for admission to the community. This leads to an e-mail form where you may apply for community membership.
With hidden communities, you may only become member through explicit invitation by the community manager(s).
After you have become a member, the community will disappear from the ‘Other Communities’ folder. The associated workspace will instead appear in your home folder and in the folder ‘Communities of your-user-name’ which contains the community workspaces of all communities where you are a member. To access this folder
• select GoTo My Communities in the top menu.
• Alternatively, you can click in the instant access bar.
The folder ‘Communities of your-user-name’ additionally has the entry ‘public’, containing all folders and discussion forums that have been made publicly available.
Leaving a community is only possible for community members in open communities: delete the respective community workspace in the folder ‘Communities of your-user-name’. With closed and hidden communities, you have to ask a community manager to remove you as a member from the community. You cannot delete community workspaces of closed and hidden communities from your communities’ listing yourself.